Gengenbach is a former "Imperial City" with a beautiful historic town-centre.
Explore that romantic medieval town with its idyllic narrow streets, half-timbered houses, gates, towers and a town-wall.
Gengenbach provides everything you need for a relaxing and pleasant vacation.
There are facilities for wellness, sports and recreation, many shops and supermarkets, museums, cultural events, entertaining programs, concerts, wine-fairs, traditional German celebrations and festivals.
Enjoy the excellent Baden cuisine and high-quality wines in one of the traditional restaurants, inns and wine-taverns or try the famous "Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte" (Black Forest gateau) from a big choice of cakes in one of the cosy cafés.
Join the historic night watchman on his tour through Gengenbach by night, enjoy the "Kultursommer" (Cultural Summer Festival) with music and theatre, visit the wine-festivals in autumn, famous "Martini-Market" in November, the different Christmas markets in the area and the Gengenbach "Adventkalender" (largest advent-calendar of the world) in December or celebrate the "Fastnacht" (traditional carnival) in winter.
Please click on the first small photograph and then on the little arrow which will start a slide show.
PLACES OF INTEREST / EXCURSIONS
- Triberger Wasserfälle (famous waterfalls 163 m), Triberg
- Freilichtmuseum "Vogtsbauernhof" (open-air museum of Black Forest history and traditions), Gutach
- "Dorotheen" glassworks, Wolfach
- many museums of local history, art, clocks, rafting etc.
- Europa-Park (theme park), Rust
- castle ruin "Geroldseck", Seelbach/Lahr
- silver mine, Haslach
- skiing areas, Schonach and Schönwald
- Freiburg (famous "Münster" minster / cathedral)
- Feldberg (1.493 m, highest mountain of the Black Forest) and skiing areas
- Black Forest Scenic Road (Schwarzwald-Hochstraße)
- Baden Wine Road
- Black Forest lakes Titisee, Schluchsee and Mummelsee
- Lake Constance (Bodensee) and Mainau Island (botanic garden, seasonal flower exhibitions)
- Strasbourg / France, famous "Münster" (minster / cathedral)
- Alsace and Vosges / France
- Basel / Switzerland